Sunday, August 3, 2008

Tandem Bike Adventures!

Friday night, I had an adventure on a tandem bike! What a great 1st date. It was interactive. We were out in nature on a pathway that was beautiful and also had lots of other people around. We got in some exercise! I'm a big fan. I like going out to dinner. I like a good movie. . . .but it doesn't make a good first or even second date. I'd rather save that for when I know I want to be with that guy and we want to cuddle a bit. :) Otherwise, how are you supposed to get to know one another and know if you want to go out again? Personalities and humor tend to come out more on an interactive date!

We took the bike out to a canyon that had a beautiful pathway with lots of people around. Unfortunately, as we went up to path a ways up the canyon, the pathway ended. Apparently, there was a fire last week and it was still blocked up. We were pretty sad, but decided to go the other way. It goes more through town, but still on a pathway and heads down to the lake. Things were going great and we were well on our way to the lake, when we ran into a snag. The front tire started to lose air and then went flat. We were a LONG way from the car. In fact, we were closer to where we rented the bike than to where the car was. We walked to a gas station, filled up the tire and was able to get a little closer to the car before it went flat again. We walked for a while again and eventually found another gas station, which took us to the Riverwoods shopping. We begged some water from Bajio's and listened to an outdoor concert at Border's. I think it was all for "Breaking Dawn" (I think that's what it's called) coming out. We proceeded to walk back to the car. It was dark by this point and there were transients out along the path. It was a good thing we started pretty early and didn't have to be anywhere else. :)

All in all, it was a great adventure and made better by the obstacles. It gave us lots to talk about and share and laugh about. I loved all of the exercise!

I've decided I really want to get a bike at some point. Of course, I can't just get a bike. I'd then need a bike rack on my car, . . . a helmet . . . a lock. When I was in Washington, I rode my grandma's bike with my grandpa. We rode along the country rode, which ran along the Columbia River (talking about beautiful). I loved it. I wasn't sure about it at first, since it's been so long since I'd ridden a bike. It was so much fun. Grandpa had a computer on his bike that told him how far we rode and our speed at any given time and our average speed. He keeps track of all his rides and keeps a record. I guess we averaged a little over 11 miles per hour. This is pretty good, since part of the ride is up hill, part of it has the wind coming at you, and part of it is up a steep hill. The excellent part of making it up the steep hill is that you get to go down the hill. It's so fun to go fast. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but grew to love it. I just have to make sure my mouth is closed. (lots of bugs) :) It's a 6 mile ride. I did it 3 times while I was there and wished I had started earlier in the week.

Now I need to look into a bike. I'd highly recommend renting a tandem bike. It's pretty cheap from BYU, if you are local. It's half price if you rent it right before they close and get it back the next morning when they open. It is a good idea to reserve it, however.

7 comments:

Tori said...

Ew, now I keep imagining the sensation of having bugs fly into my mouth at 11 mph. :]
That sounds like a really fun date!

Tori said...

I was just looking at the books you have read this summer and I think you would really enjoy Diana Wynne Jones. She's British and is a wonderful writer. I first read her Chronicles of Chrestomanci and really liked them, but all her books are good. The Dark Lord of Dernholm and Year of the Griffin are really funny too.

Jolena said...

So are you going to go out with this guy again? That's the real question. :) That sounds like an awesome date! What did you end up wearing?

Tran said...

What a fun way to spend a date despite the little situations that came up. At least you both are able to laugh about it and enjoyed the date anyway.. Good for you. Wish I could ride a bike. Haven't ridden one since I was in my early teens.

Ashley said...

Hey, thanks for sharing your blog with me. This will be fun to keep up with you. Do you know our blog?

My favorite thing about dating Chad was all the fun activities we did together. I don't think we went to a movie until we had been dating steadily for quite a while. I totally agree on the getting to know each other thing.

Chad and I bought bikes when we moved to our house. We finally had space for them. We also bought a bike trailer for our kids and we all love to use them! So fun

Mindika said...

Tash! Welcome to the blogging world. I gave into peer pressure a few months ago, and now I'm hooked. Sounds like you had an amazingly busy and fun summer. Ours has been pretty boring. When your pregnant, uncofortable and hot every minute of the day, you don't really feel like doing much. But I only have 5 weeks to go! Yea!! Anyway, it will be fun to keep up on your life. Keep us posted on this date. Sounds like you guys had fun.

M.

Mindika said...

Hey Tash,
I tagged you on my blog. Can't wait to read your answers.

About Me

Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!