Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Fun and Family Traditions!

Christmas this year involved the folks, Greg and his kids, and I. We all joined up last night for Christmas Eve dinner. Mom decided to have our big dinner on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas, since Greg and the kids had to leave today at 12 or so to get the kids to their Mom's house.

We had fun at dinner and then played a game called Dummy Rummy. It was a great game! I'd never played before. I'll have to teach it to my friends. Lily really got into it. She's really into these games. I don't think the kids have ever stayed over to experience our Christmas traditions. It was a lot of fun. I had Lily convinced that she was going to be a sheep or angel. We haven't acted out the Christmas story since I was a young kid, but I think it would be fun to do again.


Lily (7 yrs old) and I slept in the same bed last night. It was a king-sized bed, but you'd never know it. She spread out. I think I had a foot or hand in my back on several different occasions throughout the night. The kids felt like we needed to get together in Mom and Dad's room at 7:30am. I thought 8:30 or 9am sounded better, but I was outvoted. They were convinced that Lily would be up really early. It turns out she needed my alarm clock to wake up. Once she was up, though, there was no going back asleep, so it was good she didn't wake up early. It helped that it is really dark downstairs in the bedroom we were in. There was no light coming in.

We have always met in Mom and Dad's room at the prescribed time for Christmas morning. Everyone is in their PJ's, except the folks. They've been up and exercised and showered. Usually someone has a blanket or pillow. We have to sit around and wait for everyone to get there, then have morning prayer before the festivities begin.

Dad goes downstairs to turn on the Christmas tree lights, turn on the Christmas music, and let us know that Santa didn't come or only brought coals and switches. We always laugh and then line up youngest to oldest. Once we get started downstairs, we always open up presents one and a time, so everyone can see. Mom always has paper and pencils to write down what we received. Mom and Dad always open their presents last. We have a great time and this year was no exception. There is always an orange in our stocking and some kind of lip balm as well. No candy for me. Mom is good to me.



Dad has to be silly!
Lily took this. She didn't do too bad.


After we all open up presents, we always take our oranges from our stockings to eat for breakfast and usually have breads that have been given to us, along with Mom's date nut bread. Yum!!! Who knew dates would make good bread. She's made it every year for as long as I can remember and I love it!!! I'm always disappointed if I don't get to have some or snag a loaf to take home with me.

We watched Wall-E together before Greg had to take the kids to their Mom's house. I hadn't seen it. I really liked it. I had wanted to see it when it came out, but never made it to the theater.

Merry Christmas to all! I hope your Christmas was as wonderful as mine!

1 comment:

Tori said...

I love hearing about what Christmas was like there in Utah, since I can't be there. We really enjoyed our Christmas here, however. Plus, we really made out with gifts. :] GPS for Adam, purse for me, tons of toys for Katrina, a new car seat, Prayer at Valley Forge from Grad, framed First Presidency picture from Mom and Dad... Lots of fun. Plus eggs Benedict for breakfast and reading stories from the Tall Book of Christmas last night. I love it!

About Me

Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!