Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Moments.

Today I had a parent come in to help in my classroom. It was her first time there. She came during writer's workshop. She whispered to me that she loved how quietly they were working.

I love those moments when parents or co-workers or the principal come in at just the right moment! Things were going well. All 25 of my students went off to their desks and were on task and working either adding to their pictures, adding to their words in their writing, or starting a new piece. It felt great to have a classroom running smoothly and like clockwork. What a wonderful feeling!!!

It made up for the other moment today when I walked out to pick up the students from recess and one of my (not one from another class) was taking the opportunity in line to turn around and use his lunch box (fortunately soft these days) as a weapon to wallop the kid behind him and anyone else in the path repeatedly. Thank goodness for a thinking chair, both for him to cool off and me to put myself together and take care of the rest of the class. When I talked to him (somehow I was given great patience and a kind voice), he was crying and talking loudly that nobody liked him, that he was always in trouble, and that nobody wanted to be his friend. Well, no kidding. I told him if I was a student I sure wouldn't want to be his friend either if that was how he treated me.

. . . such is a day in the life of a teacher.

1 comment:

Tori said...

That's funny. I'm glad you're so patient! I don't know how I could handle that.

About Me

Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!