Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Short glimpses . . . Big discoveries.

This is a year of discovery for me!

Today, I discovered that one of my "challenges" in class this year absolutely loves recess. I kept him in today to finish some assignments and he was chomping at the bit to get outside. This is a fantastic discovery . . . finding out that he'll do a great deal to keep his recesses. I've been racking my brain and trying different things to help him in class. He doesn't socially know what is appropriate and I believe his spirit is bigger than his little body and just has to move and do weird things sometimes. Yesterday, I discovered him with his hand cupped up to another students ear while he yelled into the cupped ear. He informed me that this other boy liked it. It seemed so simple to him. These types of things are happening constantly both inside the classroom and at recess. I now have a sign for him. When I give the sign (pull on one ear), he knows that his behavior is inappropriate for the situation. Then I put a tally mark on a sticky note. He misses one minute of recess. This may sound harsh, but we have tried so many things and he will work hard to keep his recess. Today was a success. He did great! He only got 2 tally marks. I'm hoping it will last. Tomorrow night, I get to talk with his parents at parent/teacher conferences. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling I'm going to have to come up with new ideas on a regular basis for the whole year. Whew! Exhausting, but exciting at the same time.

I've also made some strides with my little tantrum guy. We are a "gold medal" school, which means we are trying to get in 90 minutes of exercise during school, including them walking or running a mile each week. So . . . we go out and walk the track once each afternoon. My rule is that the students can run or walk, but have to be ahead of me or walk(run) with me. They may not be behind me. (This way they are all there when I get there and we can go straight inside.) My tantrum guy waits for me when we go out and walks with me everyday and we talk. It's his choice. I feel like we are establishing a relationship of trust. I'm learning to "distract" him, work to prevent tantrums, reprove with a group (he can't handle it on his own), ignore some behaviors, keep the mood light with humor, praise as much as I can, and give him lots of opportunities to express himself in positive ways. I had a great talk with his mom tonight. I'm hoping that he will continue to love school and learn to not be so hard on himself. When he gets himself into a tantrum, he feels like he is no good and that nobody likes him (in fact, everyone hates him). I hope this year will be a positive one for him and that he can work through his anger and insecurities.

Every day . . . short glimpses into the mind and spirit of a child . . . big discoveries as a teacher.

1 comment:

Tori said...

It sounds to me like you are one of those teachers that parents love because you actually make a different in their child's life! I am amazed at how creatively you come up with ways in which to deal with these "challenges!"

About Me

Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!