Monday, September 15, 2008

Interesting stories of a 1st grade teacher - the "thinking chair"

Well, I have to apologize for my last blog and being so long. It's probably too much info. Oh well! :)

I thought I should probably post something funny instead of just all this sickness and depressing stuff.

This is what makes teaching 1st grade so interesting and NEVER boring.

I have a student this year that is prone to tantrums a few times a day. I have this game that I play with the kids. It's called I have cards. This particular one is of the alphabet and the order. The first card is longer and talks about being the first card and being a. Who has B? The next student would have a card that says something like . . . I have B. Who has the card that comes after B. Anyhow, it's great for knowing the alphabet order, reading a familiar read, and being on their toes.

I give my tantrum student the first card because he is my best reader and can read the words. He was upset to have that card again. I quietly told him that I give him that card because he's such a good reader, but that I'll give him another card. I gave his card to someone else. He had a change of heart real quick, but I'd already given his card to someone else. He threw a little tantrum and threw his card on the ground. I picked it up and tried to hand it to him. He wouldn't take it, so when it was his turn I read his. I dismissed everyone to lunch by calling their card. I told this student he could line up, but he was so upset by this card that he folded his arms and wouldn't line up. He yelled out (as he often does) and declared he wasn't going to lunch. I ended up giving him a little countdown and he got in line. He loudly complained all the way to the lunchroom, despite our quiet zone in the hallway. I figured I was doing pretty well to have him in line and ignored the loud complaining.

The next day, he had his daily tantrum. I really feel bad for him. It must not be very much fun. He told me he was going to go home and never come back. Sometimes I just have to ignore him. If I give him attention or try to talk to him, he can't think through his emotions and it gets worse. After lunch, I was letting all the 1st graders inside. He was bothering a neighbor, so I quietly asked him to go to the end of the line. He folded his arms, said he hated school and that he was going home to never come back! He proceeded to walk around the school.

I got my class in place inside, had a teacher watching out for them, and left to go find this child. I caught my principal, got her in on the situation. The vice-principal and secretary were busy. I couldn't find him, so I got them to call him on the loudspeaker.

As I walked back to my classroom, I ran into the vice-principal and my co-worker with my very frantic runaway student! It was good they found him first. He was in a terrible frantic worried that he was going to be in BIG trouble. The vice-principal was so very nurturing to him and I was able to be so as well. I have to say, though, that if I had caught him first, the last thing I would have wanted to act was nurturing! I was able to think of him in a different light, let him know why I was so concerned, and we ended up creating the "thinking chair". If he got sent there, it wasn't because I was angry at him or loved him any less, but give him the "think time" to cool down, think through his thoughts and join back up with us when he was ready. It's a safe place, but out of the way and in one of my "fun" chairs. It's really just a time-out, but I'll never say that. It's more of a "positive time-out". :) Since then, I decided that my whole class could use knowing about the "thinking chair", so anyone could use it. We'll see what happens, since I've been out of school since I implemented it. I'll have to write updates on the "thinking chair".

I love 1st grade and I LOVE to teach!!! No, really. I promise! :)

No comments:

About Me

Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!