I've been given some opportunities and have been getting more and more involved in teaching outside of my classroom. Between taking a class, having a student teacher, being collaboration team leader, and these new opportunities, I just might be in over my head.
This last summer, I facilitated a couple of math classes for the district. It was a little out of my comfort zone, but ended up being a great experience. I also didn't mind my paycheck at the end of the summer. It's kind of gotten something started. You really have to be careful WHO you know! My roommate is over 5th and 6th grade math training in the district. Because of it, now I am now team teaching a math class with her. It's about base ten. I've been having "ah ha" moments in class just like the teachers taking the class. I enjoy teaching teachers, but feel a little out of my element. When I'm in my element, watch out. I become quite the talker and have no problem getting my thoughts and opinions out there and contributing. My student teacher is currently teaching math, but I can't wait to get back in there next week and delve into math with my students.
I was also recently asked to be a presenter at a literacy institute this summer. I'm not sure where they got my name from. They said I was "recommended". Anyhow, I decided to do it. It is very involved for the rest of the school year in preparation for the institute in June. Since I was finishing one class I was taking, and teaching another class, . . .why not fill in with something else. Haha! Yesterday I went to the first training. It was very interesting! I love going to trainings and learning how to be a better teacher. I don't know that I'm quite ready to present all of this, though, to other teachers.
My student teacher has been here the last 2 weeks in my class. I've gotten over having someone watching me all the time. It doesn't phase me anymore to have an aide or parents or my student teacher in my classroom, which I suppose is a good thing. This last 2 weeks, however, my kids have been sooo crazy!!! Between Halloween after effects and snow and rain, they are sure challenging me. It's tough to have someone in your classroom when that's going on. On Thursday, I felt like I was being pulled a million directions at once and my kids were challenging my management skills. I "felt like pulling my hair out". It was so nice yesterday to be out of the classroom, learning and relearning great things to help me in my teaching, and take a personal day in the afternoon. Whew! I just hope my student teacher is learning good things from me. She's here for another week and then not back until January. She'll be here for 10 weeks and for some of that, she will take over the whole classroom. In some ways, that could be nice, and in other ways, . . . I think I just might go stir crazy!
This year is challenging me in so many different ways, but am I in over my head . . . or . . just being stretched? Only time will tell. Isn't life exciting?!?
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Kelly & Tasha
- Kelly and Natasha walk day by day through the blessings and challenges of daily life. Some days are wonderful and others are rough, but somehow we always make it through. It took a long time for us to find each other, but find each other we have. We are learning to be better parents, step-mom for the first time, and bringing a baby together into this world. Life certainly isn't easy, but we are making it work and growing closer everyday and loving each other more each day. This is all possible through our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. This is our journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment